Sunday, January 6, 2008

Happy Three Wise Men's Day!!

Today was a good day.. The weather was awesome. We were all able to wear shorts.. It's suppose to be nice and warm for at least a week.. Well last night I explained to Kate what today was.. I told her she had to put a shoe on the window sill for the 3 wise men to bring her gifts.. She put out 3 shoes.. 1 for her,1 for me and 1 for her papa.. I thought that was the most wonderful thing that she remembered her papa. The next morning she woke up and she had money in 1 shoe and a present underneath the other.. She was so excited!!!! She got a Dora present for her new v tech game system she got for Christmas.. After that we had a traditional Mexican soup that my mom makes.. I went to go pick up the cake. Well the correct name is ROSCA DE REYES (try and pronounce that) LOL!!! My mom made our version of Mexican hot chocolate called CHAMPURRADO!!! We each choose a piece of the cake and you have to open it before you eat it to make sure there is no baby in there. The reason for that is a couple of years back my dad tried to swallow one and almost choked. LOL!! So now we make everyone open there piece so there will be no cheating.. Now if you get a baby the way it goes you are suppose to throw a party FEB 2nd.. But life is so hectic and that day does not always fall on the weekend so we kind of made it our own.. The way we do it is if you get a baby you have to take everybody that participated to dinner.. This year I got a baby, my nephew Alex and so did Kate. So I have to take everybody out for dinner twice.. Luckily for me when I cut Leo's piece there was nothing in there.. If the cake is big enough we go for seconds and same rule applies.. It is really fun and good.. My mom's champurrado was the bomb.. This is Kate's first year doing this. She was very excited.. She loved the cake and was so excited she got a baby in her piece.. She still doesn't know how it works. LOL!!! Another one of our great traditons that I get to share with my daughter.. Hope she will pass on these traditions to her kids..

1 comment:

Jamie said...

how sweet she thought to put a shoe out for leo! if you're here next year i want to do 3 wise men's day with you. that champurro or whatever sounds really good. glad you had a good time.